Young and Talented Cornwall Spirit of Trevithick Award
Description: If you are a young innovator in Cornwall, in Science and Technology and Engineering and Maths, the Young & Talented Cornwall Spirit of Trevithick Award is here to help you achieve your goals. Priority will be given to individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Maximum: Mentoring with a leading STEM business and up to £2,000 cash award
Notes: The next awarding panel meeting will be mid April
The Young & Talented Cornwall Spirit of Trevithick Award is aimed at supporting the development, opportunities, and aspirations of Cornwall’s future pioneers. We celebrate the potential of young people aged 16-23 years and challenge you to explore an application of STEM; imagining a solution to a real-world problem or an opportunity in Cornwall today.
Successful grantees will receive both a cash award to support a specific initiative and will be offered mentoring advice and support in exploring both the specific challenge and in establishing a network for future talent and career development. Applications will be considered on the basis of both aspiration and ability (references will be requested) and financial and personal circumstance.
Within the application form, as a 500-word personal statement, you are asked to share your thinking skills that could perhaps go on to produce innovative, STEM-led solutions that address real-world social, environmental, and commercial challenges affecting Cornwall.
- We’d like to know how you think your ideas will be stimulated by working closely with a mentor/company based within Cornwall, developing your ideas across the year.
- You can apply for cash awards to cover costs of activity such as trips or visits to conferences, innovative field-trip sites or organisations of STEM research and delivery, or specific equipment that would further develop thinking or experience as part of their proposals (up to £2,000).
- Your work might be celebrated as part of a future exhibition or presentation at the completion of the year to family and friends but also future STEM employers and supporters leading work in Cornwall.
- 16 – 23 years old (your age will be taken into account when assessing applications)
- A resident of Cornwall or the Isles of Scilly
- A talented young innovator within STEM
- Able to produce two recent references (within the last three months) that are dated, signed and on headed paper
- Looking for a mentor
- Facing barriers, whether due to finances, family or other circumstances, to achieving your goals.
- Be able to show your passion and determination through a personal statement – up to 500 words
- Prepared to be an ambassador for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
Applications are now open, click here to begin your application.
It is important that you answer every question on the form; if you fail to complete all sections your application will not be considered.