All the fun of the Christmas Fair
Thursday 24 November 2022 – 10am – 4pm
Wednesday 23 November 2022 – Preview & Shopping Evening, 5pm – 9pm
Tickets should be booked in advance and can be purchased here.
For two days in November, the Eden Project will play twinkly host to the Cornwall Christmas Fair. A glorious array of Christmas gifts, home accessories, fashion, ceramics, jewellery, skincare, children’s clothes and toys will be available in the Link Building, between the biomes, with a diverse and delectable range of artisan food and drink produce in the Ginsters Food Hall. Organised by a team of volunteers and supported by a generous spread of sponsors, all funds raised go directly to support Cornwall’s struggling communities through CCF.
Thanks to generous sponsorship from South West Water, the iconic Eden biomes will be turned blue for the duration of the event to mark the Fair’s support for Cornwall’s communities.
“As people across Cornwall struggle to make ends meet, the Cornwall Community Foundation is sadly required to play an increasingly vital role in overcoming the challenges of poverty and social isolation,” explains Christmas Fair Co-Chair Kate Holborow. “Over the last thirty years or so, the Cornwall Christmas Fair has evolved into one of Cornwall’s largest single fundraisers, raising in excess of £853,500 over that period. As the cost of living crisis impacts across the county, we are delighted to be able to deliver such crucial funds straight into Cornish communities.”
What to look forward to:
• Cornish singer-songwriter Tom Cary will entertain guests during the Preview & Shopping Evening as he provides the soundtrack to Healeys Cocktail Hour, with an opportunity to sample some very exciting new Cornish wines from Healeys. Between 5pm and 6pm on Wednesday 23 November, in return for a £5 donation to Cornwall Community Foundation, visitors can choose from a glass of Tresor Classic Cuvée Cornish Sparkling Wine, Tresor Apple Cornish Country Wine, Healeys Royale (Tresor Apple plus Tresor Strawberry or, for those who prefer, a Rattler Gin & Tonic.
• A glittering collection of stallholders has been assembled for 2022, including Caroline New Art with a range of original artwork depicting local scenes and feathered friends, ocean-inspired jewellery made using sea glass by Epphaven Silver, Lowenek Art Studio pottery and decorative pieces for the home by Taurus Wood Crafts. There will also be handmade fragrances by Essence of Hartland and organic skincare by Sõlseed.
Other stalls include newcomers to the Fair, Milo & Pi with ethical and sustainable dog products and accessories, as well as Sketchy Hounds offering a range of dog-illustrated cards and gifts, ‘pawfect’ for dog lovers. Fair shoppers will also be able to browse the REWORKED stall of unique, original and eclectic lighting and other curiosities made from salvaged materials. After designing last year’s official Christmas Fair jute shopping bag, renowned Cornish potter and artist Paul Jackson will be showcasing and selling his beautiful artwork – the perfect Christmas present.
The Food Hall, kindly sponsored by Ginsters of Cornwall will play host to a wonderful array of artisan food and drink to suit all tastes and budgets. Stalls include Loveday Distilling with their small-batch spirits, Red Robin Pantry offering a scrumptious selection of Cornish chocolate & confections from organic and ethically sourced ingredients, award-winning cheeses from Lynher Dairies and preserves, relishes & sauces from The Cornish Larder.
• Visitors to the Fair on Thursday 24 November will be able to choose from a selection of hot pasties as part of the lunch menu. Crafted by Ginsters with 50 years of Cornish baking expertise, the pasties available range from Ginsters award-winning Cornish Pasty, to Ginsters Vegan Bombay Potato & Spinach Pasty and Ginsters Chicken & Bacon Pasty. Lunch will also include a choice of either Indian Mulligatawny or Curried Parsnip Soup from the Eden kitchens, with a selection of artisan breads and a glass of wine or a soft drink.
• The Coodes Christmas Card Stall is back! The stall will be selling Christmas cards with images kindly donated by a sparkling line up of Cornish artists. Kurt Jackson, Tom Rickman, Andrew Tozer, Nina Brooke and Lou Tonkin have all generously supported. The cards will be sold in packs of ten (two cards from each artist) at £8 (two packs for 15, three for £20). Everyone who buys three packs will be entered into a prize draw to win a beautiful Wabi Sabi lacquer tray. All proceeds will go direct to CCF.
Peter Lamble, Chairman of Coodes Solicitors said: “We are absolutely thrilled to be sponsoring the Christmas card stall at the Cornwall Christmas Fair. These cards feature a stunning array of images from some of Cornwall’s most exciting artists. We are so grateful that they have created these artworks to raise money for Cornwall Community Foundation. This is an opportunity for visitors to the Cornwall Christmas Fair to buy unique Christmas cards designed by Cornish artists, whilst also supporting a wonderful local charity.”
Coodes will also be auctioning off a fabulous framed limited edition print by Nina Brooke, one of the Christmas card artists. Visitors will be able to make bids during the Fair, with all proceeds going to the Cornwall Community Foundation.
• Old Bags have Style – The limited-edition jute shopping bags sponsored by Lillicrap Chilcott are always a hugely popular element of the Cornwall Christmas Fair and are fondly remembered – the clever wordplay, the iconic illustrations and most recently Paul Jackson’s contribution. This year the organisers have appropriately returned to the spirit of using what we already have and are encouraging visitors to hunt out a favourite vintage bag from previous years and bring it along. All those who do so will be entered into the Lillicrap Chilcott prize draw to win a limited edition signed print kindly donated by Jim Moir. Better known as household name and comedian Vic Reeves, art has always been a first love for Jim and his bold, vibrant and often surreal artwork reflects the anarchy and wonderful eccentricity for which he is synonymous. Old bags from previous years will still be available to buy at the Fair for those who either do not already have one or want to add to their collection.
• The popular tombola, sponsored and manned by Walker Crips, will be back, offering a varied selection of prizes and gifts for all the family to loads of lucky winners.
• The Grand Cornwall Christmas Fair Prize Draw is an impressive fundraiser. Prizes very kindly donated for 2022 include a week’s stay at Point House, Charlestown, an overnight stay for two (including dinner and breakfast) at the fabulous Idle Rocks Hotel in St Mawes and artwork donated by The Drang Gallery. Additionally, a Wavehunters boat trip for four followed by a picnic created by renowned chef Tim Spedding is up for grabs.
• The Great Rodda’s Cream Tea Hunt will give visitors to the Fair the opportunity to win a spoiling cream tea for two at one of Cornwall’s many fabulous tea rooms, hotels and cafés. For a donation of £5 to the Cornwall Community Foundation, visitors can pick a pin on a map of Cornwall. A winning pin will mark the spot of a prize cream tea for two. Establishments such as Bread and Butter Truro, The Duchy of Cornwall Nursery, Bedruthan Hotel, The Beach Box Polzeath and The Mermaid Café Gorran Haven have already confirmed their generous support.
• Cornwall Community Foundation will be inviting visitors to join them as Friends of the Foundation. Anyone who signs up as a Friend at the Fair, with a donation of £5 a month, will be entered into a draw to win an overnight stay for two, with dinner and breakfast included, at The Nare, the exclusive five-star country house hotel by the sea.
“The Fair is about far more than Christmas shopping and revelry,” explains Co-Chairman Jane Hartley. “Organised by just a team of volunteers, the event has become a lynchpin for raising such vital funds for Cornwall. All money raised will go straight to support Cornwall’s struggling communities via the Cornwall Community Foundation.”
“We are so grateful to the Eden Project for not only letting us use the gorgeously twinkly Eden Link Building and the services of the brilliant Eden team but also giving free admission to Eden on Thursday 24 November, meaning tickets only need to be purchased for the Fair itself. And of course, we would never be able to raise the funds we do without the support of our sponsors and supporters; Ginsters of Cornwall, Rodda’s, South West Water, Lillicrap Chilcott, Dales, Walker Crips, Coodes Solicitors, Healey’s, Impress51, St Austell Printing Company, Jarrang, PKF Francis Clark, Trevornick, St Austell Brewery, The Old Ship Hotel and Wild Card. Thank you all.”
Tickets should be booked in advance and can be purchased here.
Cornwall Christmas Fair opening times and ticket prices:
Thursday 24 November 2022 – Day Fair, 10am – 4pm. Tickets £18 including lunch, a glass of wine and free admission to Eden
Wednesday 23 November 2022 – Preview & Shopping Evening, 5pm – 9pm. Healey’s Cocktail Hour from 5pm-6pm. Tickets £30 including supper and two glasses of wine
Dales’ VIP Parking is available for those who want to guarantee a spot in the Banana and Apple 2 car parks (just above the Eden Project Visitor Centre). Book this with your ticket purchase: £10 per car